One of the challenges facing 21st century is that related to global warming and climate change. The Industrial Revolution that began in the late 17th century has subsequently led to the culture of materialism where success is determined by one’s ability to consume. And although industrialization has undoubtedly brought prosperity to millions of people living on this planet, it has nevertheless come at a cost. The unrestricted use and over dependence on fossil fuels to meet the energy requirements has led to a situation where the environment can no longer sustain the ill effects of unrestricted industrialization.
If you are a person who believes that there should be harmony between human aspiration for material comfort and nature then read this blog. In this blog, Student Cover brings you a list of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) courses, offered by universities and colleges in the US that may help you acquire the knowledge and skills needed to save the environment. They may also open the door to a bright career.
1. Urban Forestry – Described as ‘the care and management of single tree and tree population in urban settings,’ Urban Forestry aims to improve urban environment through planning and management of urban forests. The urban forestry professionals are called Arborists, tree surgeons or arboriculturists. Universities in USA such as University of Massachusetts Amherst, University of Florida, University of Georgia and University of Wisconsin are some of the academic institutions offering courses in urban forestry. Urban forests help to keep the air clean as well as provide habitat for animals dwelling in urban areas. Usually urban forestry is usually taught along with other courses related to forest science.
2. Water, Wetlands and Marine Resources Management – As the name itself suggests, this program is designed to apply scientific knowledge and principles towards conservation of water resources, marine and aquatic life as well as natural environment in which they live. It also teaches application of principles of economic and management sciences in fighting natural calamities such as floods, water and air pollution etc. Universities offering these courses include California State University, Colorado State University, Florida Institute of Technology etc.
3. Wildlife, Fish and Wild lands Science and Management – This program is intended to provide knowledge and skills to students to help them conserve and manage wildlife that include both flora and fauna. It also includes imparting management training for maintenance of wildlife reserves and zoological gardens including those set up for commercial and recreational purposes. Academic institutions such as Texas A&M University, University of Florida, University of Washington etc. offer degree courses in these areas. Those with a degree in wildlife, fish and wildlands science and management can get jobs in running and maintenance of wildlife reserves, zoological gardens, museums, aquariums etc.
4. Agroecology and Sustainable Agriculture – As per one definition, ‘Agroecology’ is the application of ecological concepts and methodological design for long-term enhancement and management of soil fertility and agriculture productivity’. In simple words, a degree course in agroecology and sustainable agriculture provides knowledge and skills to students to properly strategize so as to increase diversified agro-ecosystems by combining nutrient recycling, biomass creation etc. using natural resources. This ultimately leads to sustainable agriculture and ultimately to conservation of the environment. Academic Institutions like University of California-Davis Mississippi State University, University of Illinois etc. offer courses on agroecology and sustainable agriculture. Those with degree in this field can take up jobs such as of Agricultural consultant, farm manager, soil scientist etc.
5. Agricultural and Horticultural Plant Breeding – The main purpose of this course is to provide knowledge and skills to student so that they can use this knowledge to improve seed quality, their fertility and resistance to disease, ultimately leading to increased production. Students with degree in agricultural and horticultural plan breeding can find work with chemical and fertilizer industries as plan scientists. Academic institutions such as Cornell University, Iowa State University, University of Georgia etc. offer courses on the above mentioned field.
Let’s Wrap Up!
In order to conserve the nature, fight climate change and global warming, students can take up several courses that are designed for the very purpose. While the courses mentioned above are likely to fall under the environmental science or agricultural science streams, they equip students with both knowledge and skills required to conserve specific areas in an environment. This can be in the form of forestry, livestock management, improving the quality of seeds etc. To know more about education loans to finance these courses in the US, interested students can write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: The content of this blog is based on personal research of the writer. Readers’ discretion is advised. Neither Student Cover nor the writer will be held responsible for any wrongful interpretation of the content of this blog.