As the proverb goes, “prevention is better than cure”. It means keeping bad things from happening is better than to trying to fix them when they have already happened. Preventive care too looks at health problems from this point of view. Preventive care includes those treatment and procedures that prevent the infection or spread of disease or sickness in human beings.
In this blog, Student Cover tries to explain the benefits of preventive care, preventive healthcare coverage provided by health insurance companies in the US, and what all are covered under it.
Is Prevention really better than cure?
Studies have shown that it cost a health insurance company more to cover the treatment cost of its sick customer than to provide cover for treatments that prevent a disease. In countries like the US, a large number of people depend on health insurance to meet their healthcare expenses.
Health insurance companies therefore have concluded that by providing cover for preventive healthcare, they can save a lot of money which they might otherwise have to pay for the treatment of their clients.
Benefits of Preventive care
- – Preventing the infection or spread of disease in the body
- – Increasing the longevity and hence saving lives
- – Saving money on the treatment costs
- – Helping one live a normal life by preventing diseases that might affect one’s career or personal life
Things covered under Preventive Healthcare
Preventive care is a broad area covering all those activities, treatment, counseling and procedures that help prevent the infection or spread of disease in one’s body.
- – It also includes counseling and therapy session against addictions such as alcoholism, drug and substance abuse.
- – Student Cover Plans such as Student Cover Plus and Student Cover Elite provide cover for medical services that have been demonstrated by clinical evidence to be safe and effective either in early detection of or prevention of disease.
- – Immunizations and vaccinations are also included in preventive care as they prevent diseases in future.
- – Many health insurance companies provide 100% co-insurance and pay 100% of the preferred allowance for treatment that fall under the definition of preventive care.
- – In Student Cover Plus and Student Cover Elite, no deductible or co-pay is applied when preventive care services are received from preferred providers.
Preventive care is beneficial for both the insured and the insurer as it helps minimize, if not remove altogether, the risks associated with infection and spread of disease in human beings.
Disclaimer: The content of the following article is based on the personal research of the writer. Readers are advised to go through the policy documents of health insurance plans and exercise discretion while purchasing them. Student Cover will not be held liable for any wrongful interpretation of the content of this article.