March 13, 2020
Campus jobs, importance of networking, Indian Students, Networking, student jobs, USA university
Humans, by nature, are social animals. This is probably one of the most significant factors contributing to the growth and dominance of this planet by humans. This is because socialization helps in dissemination of information and knowledge from one person to another, thereby enhancing their cognitive abilities.
In this day and age, networking plays an equally significant role in advancing one’s career by providing him access to information and opportunities that he or she may not be aware of. Therefore, networking is very essential for students, especially the Indian students who are studying in various universities and colleges in the United States.
In this blog, Student Cover brings explains the importance of networking for students and how it is beneficial for them both in short and long run.
1. Opportunity to Socialize – As already mentioned above, it is in the nature of human beings to socialize. A person who networks with friend and other acquaintance is much more confident about himself/herself and his/her abilities than a loner. Socializing provides emotional and psychological support to students who may feel home-sick. Socializing provides a platform to students share their feelings and emotions and make new friends. In fact, a student with a vast network of friends from diverse culture can get to experience those culture and cultural festivities first hand, thereby providing him or her with unique and life changing experience.
2. Get support in times of need – No human beings is an island in itself. We all have our needs and requirements. Networking helps create a pool of friends and acquaintances that can come to one’s aid if such a need arises. From getting help from friends to complete a class project or getting financial support for the project to finding oneself an accommodation or a part time job in a restaurant, a referral from fellow students or faculty member does help a lot. Besides that, it also makes a person know who to contact when in trouble. During health crisis a student with a network of friends and acquaintances can get assistance in filing insurance claims and even financial support if they do not have money to pay out-of-pocket expenses.
3. Discover new opportunities – While there are several websites on the internet that can provide information about job openings, there is nothing better than personal reference or word of mouth. Networking with people helps a student to develop contact who might advise him to apply for a job or internship at a particular place. It also helps a student to stay updated with the current trend in job and stay ahead of the curve in labor market. Students who want to be entrepreneurs are encouraged to spend significant amount of time to network with those who have means to provide financial support to such ventures.
4. Get new ideas and counseling – Another important benefit of networking is that it helps people share and discuss feelings and ideas. There might be time when a person may not be able to find solution to a particular problem such as selecting an appropriate topic for the class project. A person who has networked with those in similar field can get good advice from them on how to approach the subject. Networking therefore helps a student can get new ideas and suggestions to do things in a better way. Networking with teachers and faculty members help them get free counseling that could ultimately prove useful in solving their problems.
5. Broaden your thinking – As colleges and universities get more and more diversified, it results in assimilation of students from different race, cultural background and nationalities. Students with one particular background may not share the same though and beliefs as students from another background. Networking helps students get exposure to newer ideas and belief systems thereby broadening the horizon of their thought process. Such assimilation helps prevent radicalism as well as misunderstanding. Moreover, this also helps a student in future to be more respectful towards others while working in a diverse work environment. It has also been found that socialization through networking also helps people overcome their personal prejudices such as racism, misogyny etc.
A degree course from a college or university in the US opens new opportunities for students. However, such opportunities do not come unless a student makes an effort. Networking is essential for students as it allows them to meet new people, learn new things and identify new opportunities that could go a long way in helping them realize their career goals. Networking also broadens one’s horizon and enables a person to understand and appreciate ideas and beliefs that are different or contrast their own beliefs. This ultimately helps a student to learn to work in a diverse work environment.
Disclaimer: The content of this blog is based on personal research of the writer. Readers’ discretion is advised. Neither Student Cover nor the writer will be held responsible for any wrongful interpretation of the content of this blog.
Leave your details below